Saturday, January 5, 2008

warning: gusty winds may exist


trail
Originally uploaded by roxbnl8
today was certainly the most entertaining day of our adventure. we spent the day driving through and exploring new mexico, the land of enchantment. we've stopped in gallop, nm, about 2 hrs or less away from pinon, az. we're at a very shady econolodge... when we got to our room there was a kid sleeping in one of the beds, and he belonged to the family of navajos working the front desk.

our day started out in texas, land of cow concentration camps. we saw a bunch of cows getting ready to be slaughtered, and it was terrible. there was some pretty nice scenery, there, though, once we got closer to the tx/nm border. after crossing into nm, things got even better.

we ate lunch in albuquerque, nm, at little anita's. we stopped again just outside of albuquerque at rinconanda canyon, home of the petroglyphs national monument. a bunch of rocks with ancient carvings. there was a mile-long trail, which we hiked. the weather was beautiful- probably about 55 degrees, sunny, and breezy. we could see the rockies from the canyon, and it was totally quiet and there was hardly anyone there. excellent adventure. we got back on the highway and stopped again at a small indian art store, then another, which was owned by a terribly nice laguna lady whose relative has a relative who's studying optometry at iu.

then we drove to gallop and explored a bunch of american indian trading posts. the population is gradually becoming more american indian. it's rainy, and we're probably going to order pizza later and just hang out tonight. tomorrow... we'll be at pinon! i'm terribly nervous but also extremely excited. ahoy.

check out the flikr pics by clicking the pic above.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so glad that I can visit you here! The pictures are amazing! I am so glad that you arrived safely in Pinon. I miss you and hope that you are having a great day at school! I love you very much!
MOM

Wendy said...

Sam A Lama,

Love the blog...I am looking forward to sharing your adventures with you on this site! So glad you made it safe and sound and I hope you have a GREAT time!!
Love ya,

Lu Lu