Friday, February 1, 2008

i feel that the education system in this country is too far gone.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

What does this mean? You need to add details to this one..... too far gone for what?

LibGeek said...

omg! i totally agree with kelly...wtf, sam?!?!

Anonymous said...

Please elaborate...

roxbnl8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
roxbnl8 said...

ok ok. i am feeling extremely downtrodden and rather pessimistic. i'm trying to stop, but... it's so hard to teach my students! there are so few opportunities for them once they graduate, so they have no real motivation. some of them even want to fail so they can stay in school. as far as the nation's public schools... i feel like there are too many bureaucratic issues that get in the way of real teaching. i guess i wrote this when i was in kind of a bad mood and wondering if it's worth it for me to try my best when i'm not going to make as much difference as i really want to. i'm trying to tell myself that reaching that one student will make it all worthwhile but... will it? i have such bigger dreams than that...am i setting myself up for failure? i don't know. there are so many problems that i cannot fix.

Kelly said...

I do think that when you reach one student and know you made a difference you will feel differently. You need to realize too that you are in a situation that is unique and all educational settings are different. I felt like I was making a much bigger impact when I was teaching in Indiana than when I was in Michigan. There are challenges to teaching anywhere but you do need to know that good teachers make a difference. Big time! I know that you have read books that will tell you this if you aren't experiencing it now. The one I just read with Caitlin "Please stop laughing at me" is one example where the author speaks highly of teachers who impacted her life. Teachers do make a difference. WE DO!

LibGeek said...

It takes one teacher in one kid's life to make a difference. We all have that one teacher we will never forget.

roxbnl8 said...

yes ok i was feeling very down about everything when i wrote this... i'm feeling much better. the past week has been great.